Thursday, March 29, 2018

Pony Diet Update

Proof that I do actually ride sometimes
I have no idea why but I totally geek out about Katai’s nutrition. I guess I sort of do about mine as well since that’s one of the reasons that I significantly changed my diet from lots of meat, dairy, and junk food to being vegan and eating a very whole plant food diet with limited junk food. Mostly though I enjoy researching equine nutrition and figuring out how I can best balance what Katai is eating. Over the past few years supporting a horse that needs a limited NSC has gotten easier and easier but there are still many typical options that don’t work for Katai. In my area there is also REALLY limited knowledge of equine nutrition so it’s really up to me to make sure I’m doing the best thing for her.

Part of why I really enjoy being part of the equine blogging community is that all of you also spend time doing research and learning and trying new things so many of the things I’ve discovered over the past few years have been thanks to all of you. Most recently that was FeedXL. I first heard about it from Megan at EnterASpooking when she mentioned what her Secret Santa had gotten for her. I was really interested and it stuck with me but I didn’t do anything with it until I started to review my budget for 2018 and try to cut some costs. At that point I was spending something around $80-$90 for Katai’s grain and supplements each month and wasn’t utilizing anything that the barn provided. Those supplements most recently included;

SmartPak:
Smartvite Perform
DMG 
MSM Pellets
G.U.T.
Omega Horseshine
Smarthoof (or something like it)

NonSmartpak:
Raspberry Leaves
Alfalfa Pellets just to add some bulk

Barn was providing:
Hay

Um yeah, that’s a ton especially for a young, healthy, mixed breed pony even though she was working hard 5-6 days per week. Long story short, after tweaking things through FeedXL I ended up with three supplements that I’m getting from SmartPak, two wells and one bucket, which are;

SmartPak:
Vit E & Selenium crumbles
MSM Pellets
G.U.T. (not sure if this is the best maintenance for ulcers or not so I’m going to do some additional research on this one)

Barn is providing:
Hay
Triple Crown Light (2 pounds per day)

My total cost went from $80-$90 per month to just over $20 per month which is a pretty significant savings. I also caught some things she was low on which this new diet corrects for. I’m excited that this is better for Katai nutritionally and I’m also really happy that I can save some money!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome savings! It always drove me nuts to have to feed my horses out of my own pocket when the barn provided grain. TC Lite is great, too! My girls aren't easy keepers but my friend's horse ate it while she was at the farm and it seemed to do good things.

    ReplyDelete

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...