Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Getting Killian Part I

I’ve been wanting to share Killian on here ever since I got her but man has this summer ever been full on. I’m still pretty confident that I’m not going to get back to blogging on a more consistent basis but it is nicer to have the longer format to introduce Killian and close out 2023.

To start Killian’s story we need to go back a ways. All the way back, in fact, to when I had completed all of Niall’s paperwork and was waiting for her to get a trailer ride to my barn. During that time I was following a bunch of mustang accounts and found Killian (Allure at the time) through Elisa Wallace’s account. I had been following Elisa Wallace ever since I found the video of her first mustang competition years ago. It was the video with Fledge and that was where I really decided that getting a mustang was something I was interested in.

 

Elisa’s working student, Meg, was Killian’s trainer so I started following her account (mcmeventing) on Instagram. As soon as I saw Killian I fell in love. She was very much my type, chestnut, mare, leggy, the right height, had good movement, etc. I very much had the thought that if I didn’t have my own amazing mustang arriving and if she had been available I would have been very interested in her.

 



Fast forward a bit and Niall got home to me, was perfect, and I very quickly fell in love. Then she got injured and I fully committed to her rehab and I couldn’t be prouder of myself. There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t have faith that we’d pull through even though I had moments of doubt. Over the next 1+ year I got Niall through months of stall rest with daily hand walking, her CT appointment during an ice storm, hours of long lining, and then starting her under saddle. During that time I continued to follow Killian and Elisa’s other mustangs as inspiration and to live vicariously through them. When we added trotting under saddle as part of Niall’s rehab it was an extra bright spot of hope and I was feeling extra confident that we’d get through this together. 

 

During that winter (2022/2023) I slowly, slowly added more and more work under saddle at the walk and trot and as we moved into 2023 I started to do some canter with her on the lunge line. That was the toughest point because that made her explosive in a way that the other work hadn’t. At this point she was still on restricted turnout when she wasn’t in her stall so getting to “run” was extra exciting. Day by day I tried to walk the line between pushing her enough but not too much and man was it ever stressful. As we continued into the year there were more and more ups and downs. Despite going slowly and carefully, on weeks where we did some work at the canter she would go down hill a bit and seem ouchy. I’d give her a chance to rest and recover with some easier work like handwalking or even just a little trotting and she’d seem better but then as we worked up to canter again she’d go back off.

 

It was very minor and based on a couple of vet visits around the time the thought was that with the extent of the injury on that joint it was sort of a miracle that she’d pulled through that well and that this was probably just how she would be. I struggled so much with this mentally over this time. I’m fully of the opinion that every horse has their stuff. I know my right knee is messed up and it makes my gait weird when I run but it continues to be super functional for me and I’m not in pain. I also know when it starts to hurt again and can get more testing and treatment for it immediately and horses can’t necessarily communicate that as quickly to us. The problem is that after all of that slow rehab with her and with wanting a horse that could move, at least modestly, up the levels I was just feeling like I’d hit another brick wall in that goal.

 

After finally deciding to rehome Katai since she couldn’t trailer and show off property successfully after 9 years of working on it, having a horse that was unlikely to be consistently sound enough to work up the levels and show was super super difficult to face. On top of that, I wasn’t sure if it was in her best interest to try. With Niall I wanted so badly to give it more time and I continued to work with her and try things including giving her just some steady time off. When that didn’t make a big difference I had several really difficult conversations with the people in my life. They were all supportive of me continuing to try and at the same time agreed with me that it seemed unlikely that Niall and I would be able to successfully and comfortably meet my goals together.

 

Thankfully there was a back up plan for her. This exact scenario is such a nightmare for someone that boards and can only, really, afford to board one horse. At this point the option was potentially on the table to get a second but it just felt like I might be slightly overextended and I didn’t want to risk putting any horse in that situation. Instead we ended up going with the back up plan for her which was to be absorbed into the lesson program at my barn. It was truly the best case scenario for her since she loves kids. The work is easier, the riders are mostly much lighter and she loves kids. I’m so so glad to report that this has continued to work out super well for Niall and while there have certainly been some green moments she honestly seems so happy to be working with kids.

 

But now, back to Killian. I had made the final decision in late March of this year I took some time to process and then expected to be horseless for the majority of the summer so that I could save up for my next horse. My goal was to get to the start of a 5 figure budget since that’s just what horses cost these days. I was hoping to get another mustang but was super flexible on any pony. I definitely knew I wanted something that was started under saddle but green was ok and I was absolutely set on finding something that had been off property a few times and handled it well. I figured I wouldn’t need a 5 figure budget but wanted to have some flexibility if exactly the right horse came along. I also was looking for something that was at least 14 hands. Katai was 13.1 and ¾ and Niall was 13.3 but that extra inch was really ideal as an adult with a pony.

 

One of my friends encouraged me to just post an ISO for my current budget and what I was looking for to see what was out there. I got lots of responses but many were just not what I was looking for either height wise, age wise, or training wise. I did have a handful that I was interested in but of course one was on the East coast, one was on the West coast, and one was south so not exactly easy to combine into a trip. I was weighing my options for going to see one or two of them when Meg commented on my Facebook post with Killian. Immediately when I saw her post I wondered why I hadn’t thought of her. I instantly responded to Meg and after asking a couple of questions I booked a flight to Florida to go see her.


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...