Tuesday, January 23, 2018

What I've Been Doing

While I can't ride.

Can't ride might sound a little dramatic but it's where I'm at right now. I spent some time trying to find someone who could adjust a Prestige saddle tree in the area but wasn't able to locate anyone so I ended up mailing my saddle back to VTO which means that I won't get it back for awhile still. I have my back up saddle but it still doesn't fit, Katai still isn't happy, and because it keeps shifting around on her back it's causing me anxiety attacks. Literally, like I had to dismount and was in tears and almost threw up last time I rode. Jane even noticed how shaken I was and we've canceled lessons until my saddle gets back.

I'm dealing with my SAD which is manifesting a slightly different way this year with more anxiety. I've got the support I need but brains are funny sometimes and mine doesn't want to play along right now. The crazy winter storm that we got on Monday (12.5") didn't really help.

Yes, that snow pile is higher than the door of my car.
Thanks MN...
I'm planning lots of spa days for the pony, which are sorely needed, and I've already "pulled" her mane. I've also done some other things to prepare for having my saddle back, hopefully having decent weather, and feeling better including;

Media!
I don't know if you guys remember this little guy from last year but I didn't have him for long since he died a very crushing death by being stepped on by a horse. Pun totally intended.

Happy to have my little super hero back
I had gone back and forth about replacing it and decided to get a go pro but they're so expensive that I hadn't done it yet. In the end I got an Amazon gift card that basically covered the cost for the GenII Cube. These supposedly are better in low light so I picked up another one of these. I can't wait to use it to get more ride and lunging footage!

Homework:
Like a lot of other bloggers I've been watching the USEF Network videos of the Robert Dover clinic. It's amazing how good dressage is good dressage and how despite these riders being far and away more talented and further along than me and riding really fancy horses compared to Katai, I'm learning so much that I can apply to my rides with Katai.

Spa Days:
Katai desperately needs her back legs washed, I'd really like to wash her mane, and I want to braid the top and bottom of her mane to hopefully get it back to where it stays on one side of her neck. I also want to pick through and trim her tail and potentially trim her feather a bit to prepare for the mud that's to come.

Good puppies nicely play with their toys together.
Tough to tell from this picture but he's 9 pounds and she's 2 pounds.
He plays so gently with her!
Cleaning!
I haven't done it yet but I plan to pick up Windex this weekend and clean the arena mirrors! That way I'll be able to take way more mirror selfies ;)

Getting My Memberships:
So far I signed up for USEF and my group membership with the USDF through my GMO. I still need to get Katai registered with the USEF but I decided to wait until I get her coggins and can confirm that the vet clinic gets it right before I register her with the USEF under her show name vs. her barn name. I'm also tempted to register her with the NDPC so that I can potentially show at some NDPC qualifying shows. We have a couple in my area but they aren't shows that I can get to if I don't get a trailer so I may wait to make sure I get that accomplished this year before I register her

She did this herself while I was working from
home during the snow storm on Monday.
Lunging:
I'm not a huge fan of lunging but Katai needs to get some work since her turnout is slippery and she's otherwise in her stall. I'm hoping to do some free lunging and some more structured lunging.

Ground Work:
Katai is tricky since the ground work things that crop up otherwise don't tend to show themselves in her home environment. However, she has gotten a little bargy recently so I want to work with that. I can also work with the mounting block bareback and try to get her to stand nicely again. Currently we're at baby OTTB level for the mounting block and she's off to the races the moment my foot is in the stirrup.

Also making "healthy" banana bread

Bareback Rides: 
To be completely transparent I'm not sure if I'm up to this right now but I do want to try. At least walking her around bareback would be good for both of us if I can keep it together so we're going to take some baby steps and try it.

Puppy Time!
Not completely horse related but I do want Moshy to be good at the barn. With our extremely cold weather there was no way that I could take her but this next week is forecast to be much warmer. Plus I don't need her to hang out by herself while I ride so I plan to bring her to the barn most days. Tomorrow I even have a volunteer to hold her while I do spa things with Katai.

15 comments:

  1. I snuck in a spa day with Opie yesterday and felt super accomplished afterwards. Sounds like you've got some good things to work on even without a saddle. Also you own a hamster not a puppy omg stahp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel so good to get those things done! Haha, she is so tiny!

      Delete
  2. I feel ya on the whole winter weather. Haven't been able to do much either. Sounds like you've been able to accomplish lots tho!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathryn! I really hate winter and hope that I can live someplace warmer at some point.

      Delete
  3. what a bummer about the saddle situation :( sounds like you're keeping busy and proactive about other things in the meantime! i'm intrigued by that little camera too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, on it's own it would have just been a nice break but with all of the other things that have tried to derail us over the past few months I'm really struggling to stay positive about actually accomplish anything this year.

      I LOVE this camera! I'll share more video from it as soon as I have fun things to video.

      Delete
  4. I hope you get your saddle back soon. I've been sublimating the desire to ride by baking. I don't think that it's a good life choice for me but there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's about the same for me. I was thinking of making Christmas cookies this weekend haha.

      Delete
  5. Ahh puppies! So cute! I sent my dressage saddle away in October, and...still waiting. Fingers crossed yours is back soon. Can't wait to hear how the new cube works, I still want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is pretty adorable. OMG I can't imagine that! I really hope mine doesn't take that long even though it already sort of feels that way. I LOVED the first gen cube and you can see more footage from early 2017 if you're curious. I'll definitely share more footage from this one soon!

      Delete
  6. I have also been struggling with saddlefit issues and have largely been without a saddle for two months while a new one is sorted out. Surprisingly, the bareback rides have been amazing (once I stopped being petrified of her spooking). Without a saddle and working only at a walk I have been able to really tackle some issues we had with acceptance of the bit, and softening to the hand with both long and short reins. Also the lateral work is really responsive (possible because I engage my core better bareback), and I've been able to really hone my position through those movements. I say enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in about 20 rides she has not spooked once... there's a really strong mental connection during these rides, and very little bracing.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear that you're in the same boat! Thank you so much for the encouragement to ride bareback. I'm going to add it to my list for this weekend. Baby steps right! Even if we just take a few steps it will be good.

      Delete

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...