Monday, September 4, 2017

Updates and Where I've Been

It's been a quiet week and a week of pre-written posts because, as I think I may have mentioned, I was out of town to see my sister in Rochester, NY during my week off. Of course while I was out there I needed to visit Bobby at Poor Woman Showing but we'll get back to that in a minute.

First, my week started out with a couple of short, easy rides for Katai. She had Sunday off after the show and I may have just lunged or given her an extra day off typically but since I was going to be gone for three full days I wanted to make sure she didn't sit for too long either. I rode on both Monday and Tuesday and for both rides she was sort of tired and stiff not so much from the act of riding the test but from dealing with all the muck and also just from being so tense while we were there. She has shown marked improvement with her stress but we've got a ways to go.

Flying in my riding boots since they wouldn't fit in my carry on
Tuesday evening I flew out and spent Wednesday and Thursday with my sister and brother in-law exploring Rochester. I really enjoyed looking around and getting to play tourist. My sister has an amazing loft apartment downtown that's really pretty and it was a nice place to get to crash for awhile. It's also funny how much more of an "adult" she is with real furniture and matching dishes and silverware.

I should have taken more photos but I'm always horrible at remembering to take pictures so I don't have any of our adventures.

Friday morning I went to meet Carly and Bobby!


I LOVED Carly's barn, it was cozy, airy, and bright. It was so much fun to meet Bobby and see how much he clearly loves Carly. I don't think he took his eyes off her the whole time I was there.

I didn't get pictures in the snaffle
Carly got him tacked up while I cuddled with him and then after Carly warmed him up a bit I got a chance to ride him.

Photos of me riding were taken from Carly's Facebook post
It was sooooo weird to ride a more normal sized horse! Everything just feels so different and so much longer. It's always weird to ride a different horse with slightly different buttons but then for that horse to be so much larger means making a big adjustment. Bobby was so patient with me figuring it out though as was Carly. I know how much it takes to let someone else ride your horse so I'm so thankful that she gave me the chance(s) to try him out! He really moves so well and it was so much fun to play around with stuff with him including his changes. I buffed them at least once but he just calmly let me go back and try again.


After I finished up with him Carly went and got the double to play with a bit. She started out riding him in it and then handed him back to me to try. I'm so horrible at remembering to take pictures and I was busy talking with Carly so I didn't get much. Sorry for being a bad photographer Carly!


Sorry I kept cutting off most of Carly! I kept forgetting to zoom out
Again, Bobby was fantastic!


I finished up and poor abused (filled with cookies and pets and not too much work) Bobby got to be done and get untacked :)

So jealous of Bobby's skills. He just stood without tack
 like this while he was groomed and doctored and didn't move a foot
After Bobby was put away we went out for lunch and then came back and I met more of the horses and got a barn tour. Unfortunately I spent so much time petting the resident ponies that Carly was still there when the grain showed up so she ended up sticking around to unload. Oops!

I had so much fun and hope to be invited out to give Bobby more pets next time I'm in Rochester to visit my sister :)

13 comments:

  1. What a fun trip. I love meeting other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! It's been so much fun meeting people so far and can't wait to meet more :)

      Delete
  2. omggggg i'm so jealous you got to meet carly and bobby!!!!! i had all these lofty ambitions of getting to meet up with them at local horse shows once i finally started eventing but noooo, then she had to go and move to NY.... rochester is one of my favorite places tho, after going to school up there for a few years. glad you had a good trip and i'm super impressed by how easily you switch from size pony to size giant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do IT!! It was so great to meet both of them. Trust me, it certainly didn't feel easy. It felt so strange to be on a normal sized horse.

      Delete
    2. Plus there were LOTS of awkward moments that Carly just didn't share ;)

      Delete
  3. The only problem was you left behind your poor old Haflinger beat friend and now no one loves him again! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd gotten a picture of him!! What a sweet guy, I miss him a little haha

      Delete
  4. That is so awesome you got to meet the Famous Bobby!! He looks beautiful in the double bridle!

    ReplyDelete

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...