Sunday, January 17, 2016

Narnia:Lesson Recap 1/17

So yeah, that title is a bit of a stretch.

It does sort of make sense, in my mind anyway, because today one of our exercises reminded me of walking through the wardrobe into the land of Narnia.


First we started off with a teardrop exercise where we trotted the diagonal and then went to a canter during the half 10 meter circle. Katai got quite jazzed up during this but it gave me a great idea of some things to work on. One of these was getting the canter transition when I needed it rather than letting Katai determine when she wanted to canter.

After a walk break L set up a square of cones that was probably something around 5' x 5'. The goal was to get the transition, either up or down, in that space. It REALLY helped me to set her up properly and get the transition when I needed it. Not that it always worked well but I was getting transitions more immediately then I have in the past. At first she was really getting wound up and doing all kinds of crazy canter things. One time someone mentioned that she was nearly tolting but unlike before after a bit more riding she settled down and just did her best to try what I was asking. It was one of the first times that I've really felt that with her and it was so great to feel that partnership with her.

She actually worked up a bit of a sweat today which is the first time in a long time that that's happened. What we were giggling about a little was that she had a little sweat on her neck but more around her ears. Almost like her brain was sweating :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...