Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#mareproblems Continues


My poor mare is really having a tough time. I got out there tonight hoping that she would be feeling better but she was a bit worse. The ointment did what it's supposed to and is keeping her from chaffing but it is making the mess on her back legs even worse.

I got her cleaned up and then went to groom her but she was so sensitive around her lower back that she was tossing her head and pinning her ears with just me lightly brushing her. I gave her some bute and cleaned her stall and gave her another night off.

Her stall had clearly been soaked but my BM had added a bunch of extra bedding and done a late night cleaning which isn't typical. It's so frustrating knowing that she's uncomfortable and that there isn't anything I can do. If this didn't happen each spring I'd already have called the vet and I certainly will be if she doesn't seem better over the next day or two. Unfortunately this is just pretty typical for her and when I've talked to vets they haven't had any ideas beyond what I'm doing for her already.

Our weird weather this year certainly isn't helping. Fingers crossed that she's feeling way better tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. So after this heat she settles in? That's good. The bute should help. Poor girl, I know how she feels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, typically it's one bad one in the spring and sometimes a bad one in the fall. Fingers crossed that even with our crazy weather she sticks to that pattern this year!

      Delete
  2. The mares at our barn are having an exceptionally rough spring too. Bridget's pasture mate is sure she's a stallion, her other friend rubbed her hind end raw on the fence....poor mares. Hope Katai is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor mares :( I am glad to hear that it's not just Katai though. I'm so glad to say that she was finally feeling better yesterday!

      Delete

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...