Sunday, March 1, 2015

End of February Analysis


Here goes!

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with how many of these are crossed off so far. Of course many of the ones that aren't are more involved but at least I'm making progress.

I do think that once I have my first lesson, or two, that I'll be adding or clarifying some of these goals.   At least I hope I'll get some more things to work on!

Goals for Katai:

1. Increase fitness/strength/flexibility

- get chiropractic done at least three times in 2015 – Scheduled one for April 3rd
- get at least three massages in 2015
- start serious fitness training as soon as it's not slippery out to include canter sets
- cross train - add cavaletti by February and small jumps by the end of summer
- add more structured lunging - at least 3-4 times per month

2. Show Pony

- practice with show environments by trailering off property at least five times this year
- show in three dressage schooling shows with at least one at training level
- continue with clipper desensitization
- perfect trailer loading On this last barn move she hopped right in despite the wind blowing and the trailer being completely different than she's ever ridden in so I'm pretty confident in her trailering skills.
- ride in one two clinics - can be any discipline
- perfect standing tied to the trailer
- get used to riding around other horses and busy warm up areasStill gets a little nervous when a horse goes past quickly but really does pretty well.

3. Dressage Skillz

- nicer canter transitions (no more ear pinning and less choppy trotting) by the end of March
- better bend at all gaits to the left
- more understanding of whip cues - not over react or ignore - by the middle of the year
- listen to outside leg cues – 50% there in February
- get a halt that regularly lasts at least 20 seconds by the end of February
- understand all three intro tests by the end of April
- begin trying our hoof at training level tests by the end of May

4. Miscellaneous

- stay still for mounting – This has actually gone downhill
- gain trail riding experience both by ourselves and with others - get outside and ride trails at least 3-4 times per month


Goals for Me:

1. Increase fitness/strength/flexibility

- find a good yoga class and go at least twice per month
- get regular massages to help with physical things
- run in at least one 5K by the end of April (providing I can find one and the weather isn't too horrible), one 10K by the end of June, and Ragnar (total of about 13 miles) again in the late summer
- lose 15 - 20 more pounds

2. Riding Goals

- learn to weight each seat bone as needed - default to even (I sit much more on the right)
- find someone to take regular lessons with by the end of February
- take regular lessons - at least once per month
- learn to keep my lower leg back on a regular basis
- practice a more proper arm position
- gain miles in the saddle
- ride different horses
- renew my subscription to Dressage Today and read every article –Subscribed but haven't received any yet

3. Show Human

- put together at least one set of show clothes (schooling show appropriate) including a pair of tall boots
- determine which schooling shows to attend and get signed up
- memorize intro tests by the end of May
- find transportation to shows

4. Miscellaneous

- get a new job and move to a metro location (more on this in a future post)
- save up and purchase a saddle that fits both of us better – Picked one out and saved about half!!
- Order the saddle by the end of June
- take more and better pictures and videos
- read and review a horse book every month – February Success!
- do a better job of journaling my riding in my blog
- make good turnout a habit (pretend I'm getting ready to ride for George Morris everyday lol)
- update the name of this blog (I promise it will be the last time)

I'm going to follow up on goals at the end of every month and be ready to adjust at that point, either add more or take some away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Killian Part II

  I left this on a bit of a cliff hanger but of course if you follow my Instagram you know that I got Killian. It was an adventure to get he...